The purpose of the Australian satellite is to produce Cochrane Reviews and to support review authors in Australia through mentoring and scholarships. We formed because many Cochrane Airways Editors are based in Australia and we are a major hub of clinicians and researchers in respiratory medicine with a shared interest in Cochrane. We meet regularly to discuss evidence and to provide training and mentoring in Australia. Our satellite was formally registered to Cochrane in 2013, though we have worked together since 2001.
Membership of the satellite is open to all Cochrane Airways review authors in Australia.
We are partners with the Evidence-based Medicine and Practice special interest group (SIG) of the Thoracic Society of Australia & New Zealand (TSANZ )
NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence for Chronic Respiratory Disease
School of Medicine, University of Tasmania
Department of Physiotherapy
La Trobe University
Cochrane Workshops: We held a Cochrane Review workshop for approximately sixteen authors at the TSANZSRS Annual Scientific Meeting in Perth WA in April 2016. Prof Brian Rowe, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Alberta, Canada and Editor for Cochrane Airways presented on risk of bias in studies. Dr Kristin Carson, NHMRC TRIP/Cancer Australia Research Fellow at the Basil Hetzel Institute for Translational Health Research in Adelaide presented on generic inverse variance meta analysis and using the calculator in RevMan. Other Cochrane Airways Editors presenting included Dr Christian Osadnik, Senior Lecturer & Research Fellow (Physiotherapy) Monash University and Dr Julia Walters, Coordinator Cochrane Airways Australia.
Future Cochrane workshops: for systematic review authors on Airways topics will be held on Saturday 25 March 2017 in conjunction with the TSANZSRS Annual Scientific Meeting in Canberra ACT. See the website for details on registration.
Cochrane training: Training in Cochrane methods is offered to authors in Australia by Cochrane Australia, through face-to-face workshops for both new and more experienced authors and Review Completion workshops.
Scholarships are sometimes available to fund travel/accommodation to work with a supervisor in Australia on a Cochrane Airways review, or to present their review findings at the TSANZSRS Annual Scientific Meeting. Scholarships are advertised here and on our sponsors' websites (Lung Foundation Australia and The Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand). Scholarships have assisted people to draft or update many Cochrane Reviews over the years, including in 2016:
- Lung Foundation Australia- Cochrane Airways Australia Scholarship for “Self-management interventions including action plans for exacerbations versus usual care in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease “ by A Lenferink;
- Cochrane Airways Australian Satellite- Centre of Research Excellence in Lung Health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children Scholarship for “Asthma self-management education with either regular healthcare professional review or written action plans or both in adults” by H Jasasinghe.
Scholarships will offered during 2016 for authors based in Australia or New Zealand:
Cochrane Airways Australia- Centre of Research Excellence in Lung Health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children Scholarship 2017: AUS $2,000 offered to students in health sciences based in Australia or New Zealand (undergraduate or postgraduate) to contribute to Evidence-Based Medicine in lung conditions that are prevalent and important to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders or Maori children.
Lung Foundation Australia-Cochrane Airways Australia Scholarship 2017: AUS $2,500. Scholarship available to postgraduate students in health sciences based in Australia or New Zealand to assist with the completion, update and/or presentation of an Airways topic systematic review.
To apply for either scholarship please click here
Closing date for both scholarships: 7 November 2016
We have undertaken an audit of the scope of physiotherapy-related interventions in conditions covered by Cochrane Airways. Topics for priority reviews and gaps in evidence were identified and input from other physiotherapists and consumers with lung diseases is being sought.
The Australian Satellite of Cochrane Airways is funded by the Australian Government through the National Health and Medical Research Council (2013-2017) with the following agreed aims:
- Support preparation and dissemination of systematic reviews of interventions relevant to the health in airways diseases;
- Provide health consumers, health professionals, health funders and the health industry in Australia and throughout the world with summaries of the best available evidence for the management of airways diseases, in accordance with the principles of Cochrane;
- Provide opportunities for clinicians and consumers to contribute to the development and preparation of Cochrane Reviews;
- Encourage all clinicians, policy makers and consumers involved in the identified health area to use Cochrane Reviews for information needs on the effects of interventions.
All additional funding comes from not-for-profit health research funding agencies.